The term traffic data, or road traffic data, means information about passages on a road section. The data usually contains information about the number of vehicles, speeds and vehicle types during a certain period and is collected using sensors in or by the road. Collection and analysis of traffic data is a must for virtually all municipalities, cities and national traffic authorities in the world.
The traffic report is a key tool in the work with traffic data. Based on collected data, a report is created that describes either the general traffic situation or focusing on a certain aspect of the traffic, e.g. speeds. The traffic report is used for decision-making, during planning of changes and for follow-up of changes already implemented.
Real-time data and ITS
ITS, or intelligent transport systems, is an area with a focus on smarter and more efficient use of the transport network. By controlling traffic and providing better information to road users, trips can be made both shorter and safer. A basic building block in ITS is the availability of real-time data to create information for road users and make decisions.
Common terms in traffic data
- Traffic measurement
- Collection of traffic data using sensors or manual methods.
- Traffic report
- A report, based on collected traffic data, which describes the general traffic situation for a certain number of places.
- Annual average daily traffic. Calculated value that describes the average traffic at a certain point during the year.
- A percentile is the value of a variable below which a certain percentage of the observations fall.
- Real-time data
- Data that is streamed directly from the measuring equipment to a system, often within a few seconds of a passage.
- Intelligent transport systems, a collective term for systems that apply data and communication technology to traffic solutions.
- Inductive loop
- Copper wire milled into the road for detecting vehicles using magnetism.
- Sensor used to measure traffic using magnetic fields.
- Technology for measuring traffic using electromagnetic pulses.
- Pneumatic tubes
- Equipment for measuring traffic using rubber tubes on the road.